Monday, November 1, 2010

Happy Halloween! Happy November!


HAPPY HALLOWEEN! I was thinking of the family last night around 8 p.m. when the party started for you guys. I hope it was awesome! I want to see pictures!
This week was cool, let me tell ya all about it.
Well, since we had such an awesome week last week, the Lord decided to give us Tuesday.... We had 6 appointments scheduled for the day and were way excited because 3 were legit investigators. By the time companion study ended, we had 2 of those appointments cancel. Throughout the day, 2 others boached (we had an appointment and they weren't there). So, as you can tell, we were quite flustered with how our day was turning out. We went to Hector's with a member, and his wife was there and wanted all appointments with them to be cancelled. UGH!! Luckily our member grew up Catholic and told her that she wanted to talk to her on why she converted and the wonderful things about the gospel. So we were able to set up another appointment with them, and were saved at the last second. To add to this wonderful Tuesday, we were tracting and a lady came outside and said she was all set. I then said to her we were missionaries from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and she said, "Ya I can see that" and pointed to our tags, then she proceeded with saying, as she was looking at our tags, "well, I wasn't, ya know, looking at your, ya know... I mean, I could because, ya know, but...." Then proceeded to "check us out" and cover her eyes and say "whoa, I am not going to go there......" Yes, we were hit on by a woman... AWKWARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, today required much patience, prayer and understanding of why we receive trials. It did end with a great dinner with Ellie and her family.
Wednesday ROCKED! We started at Monique's home and she told us she still had the same concerns and we shared an awesome movie with her about why we have trials, it was shown at Time Out For Women. She liked it but then kept bringing up all these random questions about evolution, death row, etc. I was starting to realize that she was just making up excuses of why she shouldn't join the church. SO then we asked her if she liked it when we came over and how she felt. She then said, "I know this is true with my heart, I feel it, and I know this book is true, but I need proof in my mind." Sister Allen showed the book of mormon and said, "this is our proof. We won't gain more proof until we accept the resources we have." We then talked to her about how she needs to take a leap of faith. Then Sister Allen felt impressed to ask, so she asked if we could set a date for her to be baptized. To our complete amazement, she nodded and said yes. MONIQUE IS GETTING BAPTIZED! We were so happy! We asked when she would like to and she closed her eyes and sat there for a minute and said, "a 14 sounds good." We looked in our planners and saw that November 14 is a Sunday. Such a tender mercy from the Lord. She started crying and has been ecstatic ever since!
We were able to travel to Warren which could be the most beautiful city I have ever seen! We felt like we were in Scotland, Ireland, England and Greenland all in one. THere was a slight rain and everything was incredibly green and gorgeous! The Lord has truly blessed us with a beautiful earth. I took a lot of pictures!
So we were invited to a member's home to have dinner. Usually her dinners have an appetizer, main dish and homemade dessert and it is always amazing. She is around 80 so everything is homemade and delicious. So for dessert she made pumpkin pie and I was sooooo excited! The whip cream was out so I was sad about that but still excited. As I took my first bite, I about threw up the entire thing as well as dinner. THERE WAS SOMETHING MISSING IN THAT PIE. I don't know what it was, but it was the most disgusting pie I have ever had to endure. As I almost started to cry thinking I had the rest of the piece to somehow swallow, Sister Allen tapped my leg and made a face of pure horror as she did not know what to do and we both had the same thought: how are we going to eat the rest of the pie! I then cut up huge pieces, held my breath, stuck a piece on the very back of my throat and swallowed while trying not to shiver at the taste. It is a complete miracle that I forced it all down without anyone noticing my immense pain. But, I was able to complete the task. My first piece of food I couldn't handle on my mission.
On Friday, we were able to go see Kirby and Suehedy, and they are both so excited about learning more about the gospel! They are such a legit couple, and want to come to church and learn more. She is due November 27th, so we are going to help her paint her baby's room. I can't wait for their progression in the gospel!
Friday night, we were able to go to our ward Trunk or Treat and it turned out to be so much fun! Since people have a hard enough time telling us apart, we decided to switch nametags and wear the exact same thing with our cute Halloween socks. Lets just say people had struggles, and the bishop's dad was so confused. It was sad but very funny. Monique came with her daughter and she loved it! People are starting to get to know her better, and things are going great.
We went and taught the Rougeuts and her dad is Sam Waterston? He was on Law and Order I think and he lives with them. Mike said the more we come, we will probably see him. He then told us his neighbor 2 houses down is the funny guy of 3 musketeers, his last name is platt I think? So of course we had to drive by. Meryl Streep and Kevin Bacon also live in the area, so we just might have to go find their houses as well. Who knew Connecticut would be so famous! Anyway, we had decided to teach them about Priesthood Blessings because he was getting one because he had cancer, and I prayed that I would know what to teach him and suddenly an image popped into my head of the cover of a specific ensign. So I went and found the one that was in my head, and as I opened it, the first talk was by president packer about the priesthood. The Lord truly blesses me in so many ways. I am grateful for the experiences like this that are so simple but are such a testimony builder of how the Holy Ghost guides us in the direction we need to be in.
At Bingo, we switched nametags and put on our wigs for Halloween, and only one person, Irma, could tell that we switched nametags. Everyone else just called us by our nametags and one lady said I looked like Lady Gaga.... Best day of my life.
Sunday was awesome because Monique, Suehedy, Heather & Mike, and many other investigators came to church and it was amazing!!! We were so happy that so many came, because we were thinking none would come. Sister Allen bore her testimony and it was perfect because all of the investigators were able to hear it and since they knew her it was much more meaningful for them.
We had to be in at 6, so we made chocolate covered pretzels and homemade reces peanut butter cups and handed out candy. It was such a fun night! I loved seeing all of the costumes of the kids. We went to bed so early and it felt so great to get a lot of rest.
I hope everyone has a great week! I love and miss you all!
Love, Lil
TAWANDA!

No comments:

Post a Comment