Sunday, June 19, 2011

Birthday Week!

Well, I figure I will start off with a good story... Just in case you wonder after this story, I HAVE gained some street smarts while I have been out here! I am sure Patrick Timmy and Alex will disagree, but its true!

So with the start of summer, our apartment has turned into a brick oven. We have 2 fans that are constantly going, but for some reason our air wasn't working. We kept looking at the thermostat trying to figure it out, but it would only get more hot as the days went by. So, we figured something was wrong with the thermostat! That would only make sense right? So we called Tim, our maintenance man, to come take a look at it. He came, took a look at it, and said, "Ya know it is kinda acting funny, but you have to realize that these apartments are brick so they get pretty hot. Is your air conditioner on?" Sister Jacob and I both sat there in silence. He laughed and walked over to our desks, pulled them out, and showed us the air conditioner that was off. We had no idea we had one. He tried to make us feel better by saying he does dumb things all the time, but he also couldn't stop laughing while telling us. Needless to say, our apartment is at a nice 76 degrees at the moment, and it feels great. You learn the coolest things on a mission!

We went and taught G this week about the Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity and Law of Tithing. I don't think I know anyone that has more faith than that man. He talked about how he wasn't sure if he would have enough money after he paid his tithing to buy food and he asked what to do. So Brother P came with us and he explained how if we pay our tithing, the Lord will bless us and will provide a way. Right after his explanation, G said, "Well of course! I have to put the Lord first! Ok I will do it!" The same thing occurred with Word of Wisdom. After we left, he walked over to his coffee pot and threw it away. He understands that the Lord will provide a way no matter what. We asked him how he felt in church yesterday and he replied, "Perfect." He just smiles the entire time because he is so happy. He has a girlfriend over seas that he teaches her everything we teach him. She also loves it and is very interested in learning more about the gospel. I don't think anyone could be more ready for baptism than G is. In Priesthood (we heard this from a member because we obviously weren't in there) he stood up and announced that he is getting baptized on June 25 and he is very excited about it. I don't know how we were so blessed to find him. The Lord has truly blessed us in so many ways.

I don't know if you heard, but this past week there was a HUGE storm in Manchester! And, yes, we were caught in the middle of it. We were drenched! It felt good though because it was almost like swimming! But, our Relief Society activity was cancelled, and we were bummed!

This past week was Sister Jacob's birthday, and we pretty much had a birthday dinner every night of the week. One of them including Lobster! I even watched him put the live lobster into the pan! So crazy! Mom, you aren't going to like this, but I loved it! It tasted way good! The only part that was a bit much was when Sister Jacob cracked hers open, and Kim says, "Oh, you got the eggs!" There were all of these eggs inside, and I almost died. Too much. But I love lobster! Don't worry, Sister Jacob took videos of me cracking the shell and all. I know you are excited to see that.

Sister Gilmore made Sister Jacob a cake in the shape of a Book of Mormon. Coolest cake EVER!! I will send pictures. Its great when its my companion's birthday because it feels like mine too! Yay for birthdays!

I love you all!
Elizabeth
TAWANDA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment