Monday, January 30, 2012

FLICKER-TAN




About a month ago, we were talking with our ward mission leader about our area. We were in a slump, and not much was going on. We were asking him what we could do to pick up the work and our area. He suggested we do a "FLICKER-TAN". A what? He went on to explain that in his mission, there were two elders, Elder Flickerson and Elder Tanner. There was an area they were in that had no success and they didn't know what to do. So they decided that they would show the Lord their dedication to Him and they would fast for a day and pray for an hour straight about their area, the people in it, what was going on; pretty much everything. After that, they saw success and it became a mission-wide activity and the Mission President named it "Flicker-Tan". We decided we had nothing to lose, and we would try this out. So on November 13, we had a "Flicker-Tan" where we got on our knees and prayed to Heavenly Father for an hour straight and talked to Him about so many different things. It brought on a whole new perspective on prayer and to go deep in discussion with the Lord and what is going on in our lives. Sister Takanoi and I were both spiritually fed on that beautiful Sunday.

As I look back on the blessings that have been poured out upon us since that day, I can testify it was because of what we did. The Lord is mindful of us and blesses us when we show Him our diligence. We taught Angela this past week, and she said to us, "The whole week I am so sad, but when I get to come to lessons with you guys, I become so happy! This all makes me so happy!" She told us she knows what we taught her is true and she is so excited about the gospel. She came to church yesterday and she loved it. She is progressing so well, and it has been such a blessing to see. She is still on for December 18th to be baptized.

Our next blessing was Ron. Ron works with a member in our ward, and his story is so neat. Brother Berthiaume in our ward worked for a contracting company and was working with Ron. One day Ron came up to him and asked him some questions about the Book of Mormon and his religion. Brother Berthiaume answered his questions and invited him to church that following Sunday. Shortly after this day, Brother Berthiaume was laid off his job. His response to this was, "I know I was supposed to stay in this job until Ron came and talked to me. If I would have been laid off any earlier, I would have never invited him to church. The interesting thing is, is I was expecting to be laid off much earlier than I was. The Lord kept me there until I fulfilled what I needed to do." Ron came to church that following Sunday and has gone 3 times since. We were able to start teaching him, and we asked him to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it. His response, "Oh, I already have read the whole thing. And I have prayed about it too. I just have some reservations about it. Where are the gold plates? I want to see them to know it is true." Brother Berthiaume then said, "Where is your faith?" Haha that was funny. He is blunt. It is good that way though. We had a discussion about this, and he is going to pray again and expect to act on his answer.

Thanksgiving was absolutely wonderful. I LOVE THIS WARD!!!!! We went to the Graff's home where the Lewis', Campbell's, and Gibson's went as well. It was a party and absolutely hilarous. SO MUCH FUN!!!! The food was of course delicious, and there were so many desserts; I think there was a 3 to 1 ratio of pies. Dad would have been in heaven. I have been so blessed with the wards I have served in on my mission. Seriously they have all been so great and loving. I have been blessed.

There was a reception for a guy in the ward, and Sister Lewis shot the candids at the reception. She let me take the camera to shoot the cake shots while they fed each other, and it was so much fun. I have missed it and can't wait to shoot weddings again.

I love you all! Have a great week!!

Love, Sister Cannon
TAWANDA!!

p.s. I made a chicken/turkey out of a dish towel. Those towel folding classes did me good!

No comments:

Post a Comment