Monday, January 30, 2012

Racoons?

Well, let me just tell you a little bit about my new companion, Sister Takanoi...
She is from a little island in the South Pacific called Kiribati. There are two seasons: rain and HOT. So, this weather is quite a shocker for her. She is doing very well on her english, but it took me a little bit to understand what she was saying. She is hilarious and a hard worker. She loves this work and is excited to get out and teach people! It has been exciting and fun. Last night, we were driving and we saw a raccoon. This was her reaction...
"OH MY THAT WAS A RACOON! I SAW IT WITH MY OWN EYES, AND YOU SAW IT WITH YOURS SO YOU ARE MY WITNESS. I JUST SAW A RACOON! STOP! I WANT TO LOOK AT IT! OH MY IT IS A RACOON!"
Hahaha I busted out laughing. I never knew racoons were so fascinating. It just shows how foreign this place is for her.
Right before she got her mission call, her father passed away. WHile she has been on her mission, her grandma and nephew have both passed away. She only hears from her uncle about once a month on email. SHe probably won't be able to talk to her family on Christmas because of the island she is from.
Imagine that. Having her as my companion has really helped me to appreciate what I do have and the blessings I have. She is so grateful for everything and is always happy. She tells me stories of her country and it amazes me. I have been very blessed.
Sister Halverson called me about a half hour after she got on the plane and told me she missed it here. I was laughing, I am sure her family was wondering what she was doing calling her mission already. It just showed how much she loved this area. It is like leaving home all over again.
I love you all, have a great week!
Love, Sister Cannon
TAWANDA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment