Friday, February 24, 2012

Greenies are so funny...



My Greenie reminds me of myself when I first got out here. They have such an innocence to them and think everyone is going to get baptized. We found a new investigator, and as we came out of meeting her, she said, "I can't wait for her baptism!!" I laughed to myself. I wish that was how it worked. I also wish I still had that thought of everyone I met was going to be baptized. How nice would that be? I am excited for her enthusiasm, because it reminds me of how I was the same way. She has an incredible testimony. She cares so much for this gospel, and brings the Spirit so quickly in appointments. Our lessons are incredible. I have been so blessed with this new missionary to train. She knows so much and teaches by the Spirit. What more do I need to teach her? By the way, her name is Sister Williams from Phoenix, Arizona. Ya, the cold is a bit much for her. IT IS SO COLD HERE. It just cuts right through to your bones. Makes me want to cry. She is 6'1, and my second companion that is taller than me. Our landlord calls her stretch haha.

For the main story, I am going to talk about Phyllis. If all ya'll remember, Phyllis was the old woman that was baptized back in July and she had a prosthetic leg. About 2 weeks ago, she went into the hospital, and we went to go visit her to see how she was doing last Sunday. I was not expecting what I saw. She had had a stroke, and she just wasn't her normal self. She was completely out of it and would barely respond. Sister Takanoi and I had such a hard time with it, because we didn't realize how bad it was. I just sat there and cried thinking she isn't going to get better. One of the nurses came in and asked if she was our grandma. I said "Pretty much." It is incredible how close I have become to the people I teach out here. We went back on Wednesday, and she had had another stroke and it was as if she was no longer there. We said our final "see ya's" and left knowing it was the last time we would see her.
I have had a lot of time to think about this and the timing of her last 6 months. She has suffered from Alzheimers (sp?) and during the time that we taught her the lessons, she was very in tune and much more prompt and remembered things a lot better. During the lessons and her baptism, she had never been better. It is amazing to see how Heavenly Father prepared her for that time and she was baptized just in time before all of this happened. The Lord's timing was perfect on this and now she will be happy with her husband. While we taught her, she said she was most excited to be with her husband for eternity. I never thought someone I taught would die. It is an experience that has taught me so much and I am even more grateful for the Plan of Salvation. The best part, is that although we are sad here, she is so happy, and that is what she deserved. What an incredible experience I could be a part of.
As you can imagine, we have been extremely blessed in this area. This past week we taught like crazy and found many people to teach. I am in awe with the blessings that He keeps pouring on us. I love it.
Sister Takanoi is now in Manchester, my old area, and I miss her so much. I love meeting these incredible people that I would have never met otherwise.
Merry Christmas!! PEACE IN THE BACKEAST!!
Love, Elizabeth
TAWANDA!!

No comments:

Post a Comment